This GLO Cluster will focus on the following pressing issues in a South-East Asian context: the impact of foreign labor on native employment; work conditions and rights of migrant workers; school-to-work transition and graduate/youth unemployment; trends in income and education inequality; market returns to education and skills; women’s participation in the economy; and labor market implications of population ageing.
Cluster Lead: Niaz Asadullah
Niaz Asadullah is Professor of Development Economics at the University of Malaya and Visiting Fellow at Oxford and Reading Universities. Previously he has worked at Reading University as an Assistant Professor of Economics, BRAC (research and evaluation division) as a Distinguished Fellow, BRAC University (Institute of Governance Studies) as a Senior Fellow and has held visiting positions at Harvard University (Centre for International Development) and Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS).
- 4; 9: College of Population Studies, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand. GLO East Asia Cluster Webinar on Promoting Well-being During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Asadullah, M Niaz (2020) “Is ASEAN’s COVID-19 response leaving migrant workers behind?” East Asia Forum, 21 May 2020.
- Asadullah, M Niaz (2020) “3D JOBS INCOMPATIBLE WITH THE MALAYSIAN DREAM“, Business FM Morning podcast, 20-May-2020. 07:45 AM.
- Asadullah, M Niaz, Maliki and Aulia, Fisca (2020) “COVID-19: What can Indonesia learn from past crises to avoid another poverty hike during the pandemic?“, The Conversation, 15 May.
- Aulia, Fisca, Maliki and Asadullah, M Niaz (2020) “Without intervention, model shows COVID19 will drag at least 3.6 million Indonesians into poverty“, The Conversation, 15 May
- Asadullah, M Niaz (2020) , “COVID-19 WILL LEAVE AN UNEVEN IMPACT ON UNEMPLOYMENT“, Business FM Morning podcast, 4-May-2020. 09:30 AM.
- Asadullah, M Niaz, Maliki and Aulia, Fisca (2020) “Learning from the past: strategies for poverty alleviation in Indonesia during COVID-19”, The Conversation
May 1, 2020
- Asadullah, M Niaz and Bhula-or, Ruttiya (2020) “Why Coronavirus Pandemic Will Worsen Inequality in Thailand“, The Diplomat
April 28, 2020
- Asadullah, M Niaz and Raman, Mishkatur (2020) “Migrant workers cut off from aid put public health at risk“, The Edge Financial Daily
April 27, 2020.
- 06; 25: Special COVID-19 webinar by GLO Southeast Asia Lead Professor Niaz Asadullah on the human capital crisis caused by the pandemic in Bangladesh. Niaz will share his preliminary findings from a nationwide survey conducted in collaboration with Brac Institute of Governance and Development.
- 02;10: Niaz Asadullah gave a talk at the Department of Economics of East West University in Dhaka, Bangladesh, on “Labor Economics for Southeast Asia“. Report.
- op-ed: Asadullah, M Niaz and Chen, Theresa (2019) “Asia’s Student-debt Time Bomb” The Project Syndicate, 25 June
- op-ed: Asadullah, M Niaz and Wahhaj, Zaki (2019) “Early marriage and the persistence of traditional norms” CEPR VoxDev, 11 March.
- op-ed: Asadullah, M Niaz and Savoia, Antonio (2019) “Here’s how we can eradicate poverty in Africa faster” World Economic Forum, 4 March.
- op-ed: Asadullah, M Niaz & Savoia, Antonio: “Bangladesh is booming, but slide towards authoritarianism could burst the bubble“, The Conversation, 28 February, 2019.
- op-ed: Asadullah, M Niaz and Savoia, Antonio: “How Africa can catch up with the world in the fight against poverty“, The Conversation, 27 February, 2019.
- 12; 5-6: Colombo, Sri Lanka. 6th International Conference on Poverty and Sustainable Development 2019 (ICPSD 2019). GLO is strategic partner, M. Niaz Asadullah the keynote speaker. Conference Report.
- 4; 17: Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. Universiti Malaysia Sabah (UMS). Joint UMS-GLO Public Lecture at University Malaysia Sabah with GLO Malaysia Lead M. Niaz Asadullah
- 3; 21-22: Guangzhou, China. Jinan University. IESR-GLO Workshop on “Belt and Road” Labor Markets. Organizers: Shuaizhang Feng and Klaus Zimmermann. A focus will be China, South Asia and South East Asia.
- 2; 8: Tibanga, Mindanao State University, Iligan Institute of Technology (MSUIIT), Philippines. Lecture by M Niaz Asadullah on “Happiness and Income“.
- 2; 8: Tibanga, Mindanao State University, Iligan Institute of Technology (MSUIIT), Philippines. GLO-MSUIIT Public Lecture by M Niaz Asadullah on “Education 4.0: Technology, Teachers and Learners”. Report 1. Report 2.
- 2; 7: Tibanga, Mindanao State University, Iligan Institute of Technology (MSUIIT), Philippines. Lecture by M Niaz Asadullah on “Women, Islam, and Development“.
- 2; 6: Tibanga, Mindanao State University, Iligan Institute of Technology (MSUIIT), Philippines. Lecture by M Niaz Asadullah on “Ending Global Poverty: Progress and Challenges“.
- 2; 4: Tibanga, Mindanao State University, Iligan Institute of Technology (MSUIIT), Philippines. Lecture by M Niaz Asadullah on “Industry 4.0 and the Role of the Academe“.
- op-ed: M Niaz Asadullah & Jeron Joseph: On rising income inequality in East Malaysia despite high growth, The Edge Financial Daily, September 6, 2018.
- op-ed: M Niaz Asadullah & Antonio Savoia: From MDGs to SDGs: where next for Bangladesh?, Asia Dialogue, September 4, 2018.
- op-ed: Asadullah, M Niaz and Savoia, Antonio (2018) “How can countries reduce poverty faster?” Project Syndicate, 15 November. Re-published in Gulf Times, the ASEAN Post, the New Times (Rawanda), the Reporter (Ethiopia), World Economic Forum , the Sunday Times (Sri Lanka), and the Dispatch Magazine (Rawanda).
- 10; 19: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. GLO-UM Joint Labor Economics Seminar. 1. Details. 2. Final Report.
- 8; 21: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. GLO-UM Joint Labor Economics Seminar. 1. Details. 2. Final Report.
- 8; 14-17: Manila, Philippines. Asian Productivity Organization (APO) Workshop at the Development Planning Academy (DAP). Report.
- 3; 27: Guangzhou, China. Jinan University, Institute for Economic and Social Research (IESR). First IESR – GLO Labor Workshop with paper presentation of Niaz Asadullah.
- 10; 10-11: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. 3rd International Conference on Social Protection – Migration, Development and Social Welfare: Implications and New Insights“. Special GLO session. Details.
- 8; 21-22: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. International Conference on Applied Economics and Policy (ICAEP) 2017. Special GLO session. Details.
- 8; 10-11: Jakarta, Indonesia. Indonesia Development Forum (IDF) conference on “Fighting Inequality for Better Growth“. Details.
Below: GLO Lead for South-East Asia Niaz Asadullah (Malaya University) in Manila (Philippines) during a conference in August 2018.
Below: GLO Lead for South-East Asia Niaz Asadullah (right, Malaya University) and GLO President Klaus F. Zimmermann (UNU-MERIT and Bonn University) at Jinan University during the first IESR – GLO Labor Workshop on March 13, 2018 in Guangzhou.