The GLO Cluster on the Chinese Labor Market aims at developing a research agenda around major challenges that China is currently facing, such as: rural-urban migration, structural changes in the labor force, rising income inequality, segmentation and labor market discrimination, labor market policy. At a broader level, this cluster aims at generating evidence-based policy advice for Chinese policymakers and for stakeholders interested in the Chinese labor market.
Cluster Lead: Corrado Giulietti
Corrado Giulietti is Professor of Economics and Head of the Department of Economics within the School of Economic, Social and Political Sciences at the University of Southampton. He is also Director of the China Research Centre and collaborates with the ESRC Centre for Population Change at the University of Southampton. Further, he is Research Director of the Global Labor Organization and Associate Editor of the Journal of Population Economics.
- 3; 21-22: Guangzhou, China. Jinan University. IESR-GLO Workshop on “Belt and Road” Labor Markets. Organizers: Shuaizhang Feng and Klaus Zimmermann. A focus was China, South Asia and South East Asia. GLO News Report. IESR Report LINK WEBSITE.
- December – 12; 8-9: Xiamen University, Xiamen, China. Keynote Speech of the GLO President at the 2018 International Symposium on Contemporary Labor Economics. CONFERENCE REPORT. — TOURISTIC ASPECTS OF XIAMEN.
- October/November – 10-11; 31-2: Hong Kong. FOM-KAS-GLO Joint Research Conference “Climate Change and Human Responses.” Part of the long-term partnership between GLO and FOM University. GLO President is speaker and co-organizer; various GLO Fellows are paper presenters, including the GLO Cluster Lead Environment and Human Capital, Xi Chen. Reports: DAY ONE, DAY TWO, DAY THREE
- October – 10; 20-21: Renmin University of China, Beijing/China. Conference on “The Chinese Labor Market”. Keynote speech of the GLO President as of various GLO Fellows. Joint event of the School of Labor and Human Resources at Renmin University of China and GLO. GLO Research Director and GLO Fellows are part of the program committee. FINAL CONFERENCE REPORT.
- October – 10; 8-31: Renmin University of China, Beijing/China. GLO President is Visiting Professor.
- May – 5; 23-25: FOM University, Berlin/Germany. 25th Conference of the Eurasia Business and Economics Society (EBES). Further information can be found here: Conference call; EBES Fellow Award; GLO Activities; Highlights EBES. Workshop presentation of the cluster activities.
- March – 3; 11-20: Guangzhou/China; Jinan University; Research and contact visit of the GLO President. Career seminar provided by the GLO President. First GLO-IESR workshop and various paper presentations by GLO Fellows. Public Policy Lecture of the GLO President on European Migration. Debate with Editor of “Social Science in China” by the GLO President and Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Population Economics. Debate with Dean & GLO Fellow Shuaizhang Feng by the GLO President on unemployment.
- March – 3; 21-22. Guangzhou/China; Jinan University; IESR-GLO Workshop on ‘Belt and Road’ – Labor Markets. GLO News Report. IESR Report LINK WEBSITE.
GLO Cluster Lead China Corrado Giulietti (University of Southampten, right) and GLO President Klaus F. Zimmermann.