The World Bank and HSE University welcome applications for the upcoming Annual International Summer School “Education and Development”, July 6–10, 2020, in Moscow. The topic for 2020 is “Exploring innovative ways to tackle poverty and inequity through education”. GLO Fellow Harry Patrinos, Practice Manager at the World Bank, is one of the invited speakers.
The Call of World Bank and HSE University
Annual International Summer School “Education and Development”, July 6–10, 2020, in Moscow, Russia. The topic for 2020:
“Exploring innovative ways to tackle poverty and inequity through education”
We encourage applications from students and early-career researchers from Russia, the CIS, Eastern Europe, Asia and other regions, who pursue various perspectives in the Economics, and Economic Sociology of Education, as well as Education Policy, and seek to understand how to contribute to social and economic development through education.
The main goal of Summer School, organized jointly by the World Bank and HSE Institute of Education, is to increase the knowledge and skills of students and early-career researchers from various parts of the world about the most urgent issues in education research and practice. The Summer School will demonstrate recent advances in research and policy expertise concerning the possible role of education in dealing with major issues of global and national socio-economic development such as economic stagnation, poverty, inequity, increasing social tensions, etc.
During the Summer School, students and young researchers will also have the opportunity to discuss their individual research and applied projects with leading experts in the field and during special sessions of group work.
The School Agenda will focus on:
- The core challenges for education policy in the 21st century
- Innovative tools in responding to challenges of social and economic development through education
- New trends in the labor market and the key challenges for the education system
- How to design, conduct and present research and applied research projects
The Summer School includes the following major types of activities:
- Keynote speeches by leading experts followed by discussion
- Presentations by participants of their work followed by discussion
- Group work, including brainstorming on various issues connected with research and practice in the areas related to participants’ projects
Among confirmed speakers:
- Harry Patrinos (World Bank)
- Suhas Parandekar (World Bank)
- Vladimir Gimpelson (HSE)
- Tommaso Agasisti (Politecnico di Milano)
- Isak Froumin (HSE)
The working language of the Summer School is English.
- Strong skills of spoken and written English
- Current research or applied project in the Economics of Education, Economic Sociology of Education and Education Policy
Venue: 16/10 Potapovsky per., Institute of Education, HSE University, Moscow, Russia.
Participants of the Summer School will be selected on a competitive basis.
Please note that travel and accommodation are paid by participants. If necessary, a visa invitation can be arranged.
The Organizing Committee will announce shortlisted applicants by May 15, 2020.
To apply, please submit the following in English:
- Completed registration form
- Summary of the project that you will present at the Summer School (500–1,000 words)
- Motivational letter (300–500 words)
For questions, please contact:
- Kseniya Anisimova, Summer School manager firstname.lastname@example.org
- Polina Zavalina, consultant, The World Bank email@example.com